UN mission in Iraq condemns attack in Duhok which left 8 dead
The UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), has strongly condemned the shelling of a mountain resort in the Kurdistan region of Dohuk Governorate on Wednesday, which reportedly killed eight tourists and wounded more than 20 others.
The deadly attack in the Zakho district, took place close to the border with Türkiye.
According to news reports, Iraqi State media claimed that Turkish forces had been responsible for the shelling – a claim refuted by the Turkish Government.
Among the dead was a one-year-old, according to a statement released by the Kurdish health minister, who said the victims had all died before they could reach a hospital.
UNAMI expressed its deepest condolences to the families of the victims and wished the injured a speedy recovery.
Civilians suffer again
“Civilians are once again suffering the indiscriminate effects of explosive weapons. Under international law, attacks must not be directed at the civilian population”, said the UNAMI statement.
“UNAMI therefore calls for a thorough investigation to determine the circumstances surrounding the attack and emphasizes that the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Republic of Iraq must be respected at all times.”
Turkish forces are engaged in military activity in the area, as part of Government counter-terrorism operations against outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) militants, and the Syrian Kurdish YPG militia, both of which are seen by Ankara as terrorist groups. The PKK began military action against Türkiye in the mid-1980s.
The ‘new normal’?
When the UN Special Representative in Iraq, Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert briefed the Security Council in May, she warned of the dangers of rising violence, UNAMI noted.
"What are we looking at? Shelling and missiles as the new normal for Iraq? This is a very risky way to advance interests, and one which further weakens the State of Iraq", she told ambassadors.
UNAMI urged all parties engaged in military operations in the region, to cease any violations against civilians, without delay.
© UN News (2022) — All Rights Reserved. Original source: UN News
Where next?
Browse related news topics:
Read the latest news stories:
- UN rights chief urges probe into Russian attack that killed nine children in Ukraine Sunday, April 06, 2025
- Aid cuts threaten to roll back progress in ending maternal mortality Sunday, April 06, 2025
- World Health Day: Focusing on women’s physical and mental health around the world Sunday, April 06, 2025
- More than one million children in Gaza deprived of aid for over a month: UNICEF Saturday, April 05, 2025
- UN deplores deadly attack on city in central Ukraine Saturday, April 05, 2025
- AI’s ‘Oppenheimer moment’: Why new thinking is needed on disarmament Saturday, April 05, 2025
- Trapped by Tradition: The Widows of Ukerewe and the Ritual They Cannot Escape Friday, April 04, 2025
- Gaza: Paramedic still missing after aid worker killings, Palestinian Red Crescent Society calls for answers Friday, April 04, 2025
- World News in Brief: Cholera surges worldwide, DR Congo update, WHO leads global health emergency exercise Friday, April 04, 2025
- UN rolls out key initiative to combat antisemitism Friday, April 04, 2025
Learn more about the related issues: